Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Classy 4th Week

As I sit here writing this, I can't believe that another week has finished up here at BYU-Idaho. It seems that this semester is just flying by, which is inherently silly since all the semesters are the same length of time, but this one is different due to the fact that I'm doing a lot more and working heavily with the school's social activities (Which anyone reading should check out, by the way.) However, I love my Family Relations class (Probably the only class this semester that I like) and I thought we had some very good discussions going on this week. We talked about social class perception, mostly in America since most of us are Americans and we're living in America (Insert a link to the James Brown song here). However, when I think of class, I usually think of my mission, since there was a large difference between the people and their standards of living within the social structure of India. It's funny in America because I don't think we tend to think of class very often due to the fact that we all have similar opportunities to succeed and, especially in the church, similar blessings. It does remind me of my ex-girlfriend, who I would say belonged to a slightly higher class than my family. I've always thought of my family as upper-middle class, but this girl was making bank. Her dad worked in the real estate market and retired to become an actor, they owned a beach house, and I could just tell by the quality of their technology and clothes that they were pretty well off. I think that might be a reason why her mom didn't like me very much is she perceived me as coming from a lower class than their family. I'm actually very fascinated by the class system and I don't despise it or think it's a major problem. (Watch it come back to bite me now that I say that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment